Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My earthquake experience

In my summer holidays I went to Pelluhue and Cauquenes. The 27th february`s night I was in this last place, in the house of my uncle. I had seen the show of Ricardo Arjona on the Festival de Viña del mar (I like his music so much).
Later, I went to bed, but I watched TV instead of sleeping. It was playing Titanic, just in the part where the ship is sinking (I think that was a sort of premonition). Then, a heavy earth tremor started. Immedeately, I went out of bed and stood under the door. When the movement began to diminish I went to the bedroom where my older brother was. After that we went down the stairs and walked towards the yard. My mom, my other brother and my uncle where there. The earthquake hadn`t stopped at all.
We went to the main square. The people started to go there, telling their recent experiences. They were worried about it, but in calm.
I did not sleep that night. I couldn`t and I didn`t want to.
Many houses were to the ground. There were not any information about the rest of the country, except the news from the people who could contact our families.
The electricity and the water were not working. The mobile telephones worked until the midday.

I think this is a really hard experience, because I had never lived an earthquake and because of the consequences it involved. But I also think this was an opportunity to combine efforts and help the people who most needed it. The solidarity appeared once again.

3 comments:

  1. uuuu a premonition... next time call me to be ready =) hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, it's funny that you were watching titanic and it was right in the iceberg part. Call me too if you have one of those premonitions again :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katia!! the psychic!!! jajajaja I like Titanic too but i don't watch it because i cry too much

    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete